In Kolten's 2.5 year update I had mentioned we were gearing up for a Big Boy Bonanza. We had three big items on our agenda; Big Boy Bed, Big Boy Potty and No more Pacis. Well, I am happy to report that we have made some major progress!
Let's Start with the Big Boy Bed!
This kid seriously LOVES his bed. There are actually nights where he asks us to go get in his "big bed." Yes, the child who FIGHTS sleep and bedtime every night now goes willingly with a smile into his room to go to bed. There are some days where he will just go hang out in his bed and look at books or play with his stuffed animals.
He also stays put until Bryce or I go get him in the morning. AMAZING!
Big Boy Bed- check
With one check mark off the list, I was feeling extra brave and decided to take a stab at the potty training next. There are a blue billion different methods out there for potty training, but after some research (or Pinteresting) I decided on the 3 day method incorporating a "party theme." So CUE...
PARTY POTTY 2013
The basic's behind the "3 day method" are you stay at home for three days and let the potty trainee run around in nothing but a shirt and undies. You sit them on the potty every 20-30 minutes and at every successful attempt you offer a "prize" of some sorts. I decided to add the party theme because Kolten LOVES a good party and we had talked up the "potty party" for WEEKS.
One of the "key" components of the 3 day method is being able to be totally attentive of the trainee, so I had our babysitter come over to watch Beckham on day one since it was a Friday and Bryce was working. This allowed me to focus on Kolten. We started the morning with Kolten's favorite breakfast of Donut Bank donut holes. Then we put on our new big boy undies and had our first attempt at the potty. I am not going to lie, I was SUPER nervous about this because he never wanted to sit on the potty before..but to my AMAZEMENT..he did AWESOME!
He sat on the potty without a fuss and made the potty sing (it does this when you go) the first attempt! So, we partied!!!! Blow horns and all! And of course he picked a prize out of the bucket. I am completely sure those prizes are what got him to sit on the potty in the first place.
We pretty much kept partying..all morning long. He sat on the potty all morning long whenever he was asked and only started to have one accident, where he ran to the potty as he was going. This was AMAZING in itself! By naptime, I was seriously feeling so great about this whole thing...he was doing so good, I couldn't believe it.
After he woke up from nap, we immediately put our undies back on and went out to party more, and what party is complete without a cake? I wish I could say the afternoon went as well as the morning, but the "fairy tale" ended in the afternoon. He was not as willing to sit on the potty every 20 minutes..I think he was just sick of it. He ended up having a couple accidents that afternoon/evening, but he still did better than I ever expected.
We started the whole thing over again on Day 2 and he did great again. (sorry, I was over the camera, so no more pictures) I moved the time increments to every 30 minutes and I think this helped. He even pooped on the potty this day...BIG TIMES!!! He had a few accidents, but overall another awesome day.
Day 3 we were accident FREE!!! Yes, my friends he went on the potty all day on Sunday and even went on his own a few times.
We had the party three weekends ago and Kolten is still doing great! I do have to ask him to go the bathroom often still and when I have not done this timely he has had a few accidents, but he is in big boy undies at all times(besides nap and night).
So friends I am SOOOO happy to say...
Potty Training - CHECK
Our last check mark on the list is to get rid of our paci's...but we just are not quite ready for this one yet. He only gets it in bed and in the car, so it is not like he is walking around with it in his mouth all the time. Just the other day, he told me "Big boys don't have pacis...but I just a LITTLE boy" Yes, you are sweet boy, yes you are...so we won't take your favorite thing away just yet because mommy is not really ready for you to be a full on big boy yet either.
PARTY POTTY 2013
The basic's behind the "3 day method" are you stay at home for three days and let the potty trainee run around in nothing but a shirt and undies. You sit them on the potty every 20-30 minutes and at every successful attempt you offer a "prize" of some sorts. I decided to add the party theme because Kolten LOVES a good party and we had talked up the "potty party" for WEEKS.
One of the "key" components of the 3 day method is being able to be totally attentive of the trainee, so I had our babysitter come over to watch Beckham on day one since it was a Friday and Bryce was working. This allowed me to focus on Kolten. We started the morning with Kolten's favorite breakfast of Donut Bank donut holes. Then we put on our new big boy undies and had our first attempt at the potty. I am not going to lie, I was SUPER nervous about this because he never wanted to sit on the potty before..but to my AMAZEMENT..he did AWESOME!
He sat on the potty without a fuss and made the potty sing (it does this when you go) the first attempt! So, we partied!!!! Blow horns and all! And of course he picked a prize out of the bucket. I am completely sure those prizes are what got him to sit on the potty in the first place.
We pretty much kept partying..all morning long. He sat on the potty all morning long whenever he was asked and only started to have one accident, where he ran to the potty as he was going. This was AMAZING in itself! By naptime, I was seriously feeling so great about this whole thing...he was doing so good, I couldn't believe it.
Day 3 we were accident FREE!!! Yes, my friends he went on the potty all day on Sunday and even went on his own a few times.
We had the party three weekends ago and Kolten is still doing great! I do have to ask him to go the bathroom often still and when I have not done this timely he has had a few accidents, but he is in big boy undies at all times(besides nap and night).
So friends I am SOOOO happy to say...
Potty Training - CHECK



So proud of our almost big boy!
ReplyDelete