Do you ever have those moments when something just hits you like a ton of bricks? Well, I had that happen today. It was naptime and I was rocking Kolten. I had just finished singing "Baby Mine" and was getting ready to get up and put him in his bed so I could start on the 100 things that I needed to get done around here before Beckham got up to eat. As I started to get up, Kolten looked up at me sleepily and said "again, mommy." My normal response would be "no buddy, it is time to get in your bed and take a nap." But today something stopped me.
I don't know about you, but I am so guilty about constantly thinking about "whats next" that I often forget to enjoy the moment that I am in today. I have told Bryce recently that these are probably some of the best times of our life. We are happy and healthy, our parents are happy and healthy and our babies are well..just that, babies. We are so blessed and I don't ever want to take these blessings for granted, but am I not doing that by not being fully in the moment? By constantly thinking about what I need "to do" instead of what I am "doing?" I mean most days I am actually super proud of my multi-tasking skills. As I sat there, about to move on instead of fulfilling my sons "again mommy" request, a little poem I once read came to mind. It says "Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow. For babies grow up we learn to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep, I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
So today, instead of moving on to the next part of our "routine", I sang it again. However, this time when I sang to my little boy, I was not thinking about the laundry that needed to be moved from the washer to the dryer, or the countertops that needed to be cleaned off, or any of the numerous items on the "to do list". This time while I sang, I looked at my precious little boy and thought about only him at that moment. I took in every little feature on his face, watched his gorgeous blue eyes try to stay open just a little longer as he fought the sleepiness, and when he finally fell asleep I stayed there... still rocking, still singing, still holding him in my arms... thanking my Savior for this little miracle he had blessed me with. All those items on the "list" could wait. I wanted to enjoy the NOW, not just partially, but TOTALLY. For it will not be long until he no longer fits in my arms, but RIGHT NOW he does and that is all that matters.
So proud of the momma you have become! Love you, Bryce, and my precious grandsons.
ReplyDelete